Sunday 17 November 2013

Patty & Bun - Central London

This weekend I was popping into London to catch up with a few uni friends. I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I was in dire need of a Christmas jumper to wear at work on Christmas day and a couple of pairs of PJs.

A trip to Primark was inevitable.

Shopping (especially battling through the crowds of Primark on Oxford St) is hungry work. I had to make sure hubby and I had something filling for lunch. I've recently been working my way through all the trendy, and tasty. new burger places in London, so it seemed like a good time to continue.

We ducked into St Christopher's Place, hidden by the side of Selfridges and strolled over to Patty and Bun. There was a small queue outside, but after about 15-20 minutes we were shown inside.

Patty and Bun is a small room, intentionally sparsely decorated with cute little drawings of spatulas and such like on cardboard boxes mounted on the walls. It's cosy inside, but even though we were sharing a table with another couple it didn't feel too cramped.

The menu is pretty simple. A choice of burgers (including lamb and chicken), chicken wings, salad and fries.



I went for a Smokey Robinson burger, which was a deliciously juicy and meaty medium-rare beef patty with crisp smokey bacon, cheese, (the most delicious) caramelised onions, tomato, lettuce, ketchup and smokey mayo on a brioche bun. The bun didn't fall apart and collected all of the meat juices, but the caramelised onions were the heroes of the burger. Obviously not rushed they were beautifully sweet and yet savoury. I've never had such good onions in a burger.



Hubby went for the portobello mushroom burger. As a vegetarian he usually begrudgingly orders the veggie option and puts up with it. This burger was so good that he inhaled it before I could take a picture and said he wanted to come back for another. I think the really special thing about it was the tarragon mayonnaise and garlic butter. This was paired with a side of rosemary salt fries, I only got a chance to try one, but again hubby said they were pretty amazing.

The reason I didn't eat the fries was the real highlight of lunch. The chicken wings. To paraphrase a well known advert these were not just any chicken wings, they were confit chicken wings with BBQ sauce. They came with a rich, tangy BBQ sauce topped with fresh crunchy spring onions. The skin was deliciously crispy, while the flesh was tasty and succulent. I could have eaten a million of these. In fact I'd happily go back to have just chicken wings.



Usually I'd get grumpy having to queue outside for food, and grumpier at having a slightly wobbly chair to balance on, but even with that this was clearly the tastiest lunch I've had in a long time, and by far the best burger and chicken wings that I have had in my life. What was even more special was seeing my, usually ambivalent about food, husband relishing his delicious lunch and wanting to go back for more.

We'll definitely be back.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment