Sunday 27 October 2013

Grilled Sweet Potato with Tomato, Honey & Mustard Salsa

Sweet potatoes are delicious. I love them in curry, as chips or wedges, but my all time favourite is to slice them thinly, grill them and top them with something delicious. 



I first got this idea from a tapas bar that I used to go to whenever I went home to visit my Dad, but unfortunately it has now closed. That meant that I had to start cooking it for myself, and bit by bit I changed the recipe and now it's almost completely unrecognisable. 

This makes a great side dish to share with friends, served either with some grilled meat or fish and a salad or as a combination of smaller dishes if tapas style eating is your thing. If it isn't your thing you should make it your thing. I think that there is no better way of eating than sharing lots of delicious yummy dishes with a group of friends. 

Take all the measurements as an approximation, I don't know how big your potatoes and tomatoes are. 

What I used...
4 sweet potatoes
2 fresh tomatoes
Half a red onion
Tablespoon of honey
Tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
Tablespoon of red wine vinegar
Tablespoon of olive oil + some for cooking
Salt
Pepper

How I did it...
1. Heat the grill to medium.
2. Wash sweet potatoes.
3. Thinly slice sweet potatoes, lay on a baking tray, lightly spray or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
4. Bake sweet potato until the edges are beginning to get crispy.
5. Chop tomatoes and half a red onion into small dice.
6. Mix mustard, honey, vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper to make a dressing. Adjust quantities of each until the flavour is to your taste. I like equal quantities. 
7. Mix the tomatoes and onions into the dressing.
8. Arrange the sweet potato on a plate and top with the tomato, honey and mustard salsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment