Wednesday 2 October 2013

DIY Lego Minifigure Display Frame



Like an overgrown child I love Lego Minifigures. I love the surprise of opening up a little packet and not knowing which one I'm going to get, but most of all I love having the cute little characters dotted around to put a smile on my face.

Unfortunately dotting them about on bookshelves and window frames meant that they were getting scattered around the place and eaten by the hoover-monster. I imagine if I hadn't have found a storage solution they'd have been chewed on by the kitten-monster when she arrived too.

I didn't like the chunky Official Lego display units, and I didn't fancy putting them in a box where I couldn't see them. I spent ages looking online at different storage solutions and found a couple of expensive tailor-made box frames.

Although I love my Lego I wasn't willing to spend £80 to house it, so I decided to make my own.

Ikea has some great, cheap box frames which come in all different sizes. I have a lot of Lego Minifigures so I chose the 50 x 50 x 4.5cm Ribba frame, which was a bargaintastic £9. I'm planning to get one of the little ones to put our bride and groom lego in soon.

I covered the back insert of the frame in a pretty wrapping paper. I chose a gold paper with little white stars.

Next I dug out some random bits of colourful Lego and superglued lots of random blocks of flat Lego on the card that forms an inner frame.

I used black 2 x 6 dot lego squares for the figurines to stand on. These were stuck directly on the wrapping paper covered backing to the frame. To place them I followed the line of the inner cardboard frame sticking them with superglue. Luckily exactly 9 Lego blocks fit across.

I then used a piece of Lego to measure how tall the Lego Minifigures are and used this to space out my rows. Starting from the bottom I managed to fit in 5 rows. The headpieces of the top row overlaps the cardboard inner frame slightly, but I think this looks quite good. It also means my Lego Minifigures with tall accessories fit in quite nicely.

Lastly I stood a Lego Minifigure on each black Lego block and put the frame together.

I was so impressed with how good this looked. If I'd have thought the first attempt would have turned out so well I'd have taken some step-by-step pictures.

We have ours in the living room, but I think it would make a great addition to a geeky study or to any Lego-loving child's room.


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! So so cool! x

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow What a nice post is DIY Lego Minifigure Display Frame ! I like it . Thanks for sharing this topics . For details lego storage australia .

    ReplyDelete