Wednesday 25 September 2013

The Lurgy



I have had a hectic couple of weeks. At work we have been exceptionally busy and the main downside to my job has reared its ugly little head. The lurgy.

The lurgy (otherwise known as "a bad case of sniffles"), is the fear of all those who work with children. It sneaks up on you unexpectedly. One minute you're fine, the next there is that hint of scratchy throat or the first little snuffle and before you know it you feel as if you've swallowed a family of small hedgehogs and your eyes are going to drop out of your nose.

Typically for me I have caught the lurgy just as I'm starting 2 weeks of annual leave. I'm not sure if this is recurrent bad luck, or if my immune system decides to go on annual leave when I do.

I've spent the last couple of days mostly holed up at home, munching my way through strepsils like they're going out of fashion. In all honesty it's been a great excuse to curl up in bed and catch up with the TV shows I've missed and to finish the books that I've been reading. It's also been lovely to have some kitten-cuddle times.



Today I finally feel as if the lurgy is starting to lift. A thick layer of Nivea Creme on my nose has protected it from looking too Rudolf-like, so as soon as this sneezing stops I'll be ready to join normal society again.

Tomorrow I might feel well enough to use my new steam mop. The excitement I feel about this only confirms the fact that I must be taking too strong medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment